As part of the Extracurricular section of my blog, I occasionally post about things that aren't directly related to fanfic. Today, we have
The movie: Birth, with Nicole Kidman and Cameron Bright.
The song: Girl, by a small band called The Beatles.
BIRTH
I just rewatched Birth for the millionth time and this movie continues to amaze me. The pace is slow as the story unfolds, the acting and direction is not in any way in-your-face. It immerses you into the artistry of it: each shot is a painting and the music carries the weight of the emotion.
The beautiful music throughout the movie is its own character, the way it drives the pace and mood. All composed by Alexandre Desplat (the same guy who did the music for New Moon. But in Birth there are more original compositions and its more at the root of the emotion of the scenes than it is in New Moon.)
The director, Jonathan Glazer, builds the story in such a compelling, visual way. I haven't read the script and it's always hard to tell where original story leaves off and the director's vision begins. But either way, the intrigue and emotional tension is deeply rooted in both the story itself and the visual manifestation of it.
The premise of this movie could have easily come off as very creepy, weird and off-putting. A woman, Nicole Kidman, has lost her husband. Ten years later, when she is finally happy and engaged to a man she loves, she is approached by a little boy who claims to be Sean, her dead husband. The little boy is played BRILLIANTLY by Cameron Bright (who now happens to play Alec in the Twilight Saga). Check out the trailer, you'll see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfjZ5Msdb8
The acting in this is UNBELIEVABLE! There's a shot that is a close up on Kidman - I don't even want to talk about it because you should experience it yourself. But the way it was shot and the incredible nuance of her performance, especially in that moment, is something that has stuck with me since I first saw this movie several years ago. And that example speaks to the way this director and those actors complemented one another to a gorgeous end.
There are so many interesting themes that are explored, and I'm hesitant to blather on with my analysis, because you should go see it and see for yourself what it means to you. But quickly, there are questions about the inability to let go of love, the depth to which love can overpower your rational self, the durability of one's spirit, the notion that love is a subjective experience that's not dependent on the reality of the love that's being returned. <--- if you've seen the movie, I'm dying to know how other people perceived it!
It's not for everyone, but if you are a lover of films that are art, go check out Birth! And then come tell me what you thought :)
GIRL
Girl, The Beatles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshCZndWmco
Girl is on the album Rubber Soul. Since the first time I heard it, I loved Girl because of that sound he makes in the chorus. It's one of those sounds that's an involuntary response to seeing something that turns you on. The deep intake of breath through your teeth. When John breaks it out in this song, I always thought is was hot. It's a cool way to capture the essence of that raw reaction.
In the song he's talking about this woman who he's drawn to. Even though she treats him badly, he is helpless to resist her. Just like a bunch of the songs on Rubber Soul, Girl talks about a relationship that's complicated. Just like real life relationships are complicated.
He's listing all of these terrible qualities and he makes her sound like a wretched person. But then in the chorus John sounds like he's thinking of her quite fondly. It seems to indicate that she's so hot that despite these dispicable qualities, he stays with her anyway. I always saw his listing of her faults as, "Oh look at what I'm willing to put up with in order to tap that ass."
But recently I realized it's more than that. He's lamenting about his situation. That he's taken by this girl who's so wrong for him. He lists all of these things he hates about her. But what he hates about her most, is that he can't stay away from her. Have you ever had a boyfriend who is so wrong for you but you keep going back because the sex is too frickin hot. It's like you hate yourself for not being able to resist it and walk away even though you know you should. And then you hate the other person for being so irresistible. A terrible scenario for those of us who are hedonistically inclined!
But recently I realized it's more than that. He's lamenting about his situation. That he's taken by this girl who's so wrong for him. He lists all of these things he hates about her. But what he hates about her most, is that he can't stay away from her. Have you ever had a boyfriend who is so wrong for you but you keep going back because the sex is too frickin hot. It's like you hate yourself for not being able to resist it and walk away even though you know you should. And then you hate the other person for being so irresistible. A terrible scenario for those of us who are hedonistically inclined!
This song starts as an agitated "Won't someone listen to this terrible situation I've gotten myself into!" but even as he's spewing these complaints, he keeps coming back round to the chorus and fond thoughts of this girl and what she does to him. By the end of the song he seems like he's chilled out a bit and not as willing to act on the problem. More willing to accept his fate. And be with this girl. He'll stay.
.







No comments:
Post a Comment