This week's feature:
Fics that are in need of mouth-to-mouth.
Fics that are in need of mouth-to-mouth.
"Don't you die on me!"
There are a bunch of WIP stories that I adore that have not updated in what feels like ages. Being both stubborn and hopeful, I refuse to believe that these stories are being abandoned by the author.
Sometimes the story is pretty far enough along, and already so original and well done in what's already written. I'm the type of reader that would happily take a swift albeit premature wrap up of the story over the uncertainty of whether the fic will ever be picked up again. Obviously I'd love for the author to complete the full story they envisioned, but I understand that sometimes things happen, and even authors with the best of intentions are unable to work on their story.
But for me, I feel additional frustration with the mid air suspension of an otherwise killer story: I can't rec it. I love it, I think it's brilliant, and I want to tell everyone about it. But I can't rec a fic to someone knowing full well that they will fall in love only to be left hanging! But you see, I am a fic pusher by nature. I think I get more distressed with not being able to pimp the story, than I am about the story having no closure.
"Can I miss what I never had?"
There are also stories that *everyone* recs but have not updated in forever. I am dying to read these fics but to protect my emotional well being, I have not started them yet. Now again, I have no idea what the author's circumstances are and frankly it's none of my business. Nor am I criticizing ANYONE who is brave enough to put themselves out there like that in the first place (lord knows I couldn't do it!). I am simply expressing the yearning I feel for something that I can't have.
Fans who develop an emotional attachment to a fic often think longingly about that story that's floating out there, just yearning for resolution. Is there a anything that they can do? Besides show their continued love (ahem, pester) the author for news on the story? YES. Our "electronic panels" comes to us in three little words. Fandom Gives Back
Bidding on an author is one of the ways that readers can show their love and support for the author and her story. Now, if you win... depending on the auction terms, you just might be able to get that next chapter you've been hankering for. Perhaps an author might be willing to temporarily resurrect that pulled story you thought you'd never see again.
Is this a last ditch effort of fan intervention into the author's process? Yup. Would an author's offer to finish a beloved WIP rally fans to raise a mountain of money? Yup.
If fics like Nice Catch, Burn and Shine, and A Madman's Mercy were to come to some conclusion, I would do cartwheels in my 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, drywall be damned. If fics like Innocent, Vigilant, Ordinary, The Vampire in the Basement, or Hiding in Plain Site updated, there would be celebrations all throughout Twificland. Authors (and not at all just the ones I singled out), you know what we want, and we're willing to pay to get it. Readers, let's rally together to bring some of our beloved stories back to life.
If fics like Nice Catch, Burn and Shine, and A Madman's Mercy were to come to some conclusion, I would do cartwheels in my 1 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn, drywall be damned. If fics like Innocent, Vigilant, Ordinary, The Vampire in the Basement, or Hiding in Plain Site updated, there would be celebrations all throughout Twificland. Authors (and not at all just the ones I singled out), you know what we want, and we're willing to pay to get it. Readers, let's rally together to bring some of our beloved stories back to life.
NOTE:
Please don't be offended if you are an author whose story was just mentioned as an example! And my sincerest apologies if I have inaccurately characterized your fic. (a) My enthusiasm (and that of your fans) is a direct reflection of the love we have for you and your story. (b) You are of course under no obligation and are able to craft the conditions of your auction, indicating that your story is off the table. (c) FGB is an opportunity to raise some money for a good cause, not a chance to bully authors into writing something they don't want to write.
I am simply mentioning the potential gold mine that exists within beloved yet dormant fic.
So, are there fics that you'd like to see resurrected? Please drop me a comment to let me know :)




great post! it is always sad when a story i am reading seems to be abandoned. i love how you acknowledged the authors don't owe us anything but its ok to voice our love over the stories. and the fandom gives back is a great example of how to get a hit of our drug while still helping out others :)
ReplyDeletePerfect! Unfinished stories haunt me. I don't pester authors but the stories are in my 'Owns Me' file in my Favorites. It also hurts me to not be able to rec a story that is unfinished and slow to post. I had to implement a no WIP rule because I was driving my husband crazy...I cheat though. The ones I fear are dead are...The Arrangement, All I Ever Knew and Resident Geek. The few that just need a little mouth to mouth are...HL5 and Company Loves Misery. :)
ReplyDeleteShawna,
ReplyDeleteI would personally give HL5 mouth-to-mouth if that would bring it back to life. Although, honestly, I've come to terms with its absence in my life. I just ignore the drama that erupted after the long awaited lemon and pretend that Elvis-fueled sex = happy ending :)
--Althea
I have to say, at the risk of extreme TMI, I might possibly spontaneously orgasm if any of those fics updated and finished. It almost causes severe mental anguish to fall in love with an outstanding fic, and then... Nothing. I'm sure all of the authors have their reasons for the delay or discontinuation (Is that a word?) but, nonetheless, it causes this fangirl to go insane with craving.
ReplyDeleteThis is the very reason that I no longer start a WIP. I went through my list the other day and deleted 14...14 stories that hadn't updated in the last 4 months. Many of them were rec's from a certain BIG podcast...
ReplyDeleteSo sad... I, too, check every so often for those stories that wretch my heart out because of being long unfinished.
ReplyDeleteOne biggie that everyone shares in, 'Tie Me Down to This World' by Struck Upon A Star. It's been a year now and, though the author swears on her profile that she's not abandoning it forever, she hasn't written anything else, either, so my hopes, alas, are shriveling....
Another fic I had hopes for that has died on the vine, is, 'Midnight Run' by Inthemadhouse. She also swears she will finish, but I'm not so sure. She's written a story for Glee recently, but no updates on Midnight Run... *sigh*
One more that I really, really wish would be finished, is, 'The Good Looking Loony Toons Vampire Guy' by jajo. She is continuing her story, 'The Good Looking Loony Toons Stalker Guy' in it, and I NEED to find out the ending to that story. It was THE most creatively, original story that I've ever read, and she left us hanging, swearing to relieve our need, but, so far... nada....
Oh well, good thing there are soooooo many wonderful fics out there. I'll just keep hoping....
Best wishes,
Charli ;o)